Search This Blog

Friday, April 12, 2013

Mandazi

I learned about Mandazi (a.k.a. Maandazi, or Mahamri when made with coconut milk) about 6 years ago, from a cookbook for a popular Bed and Breakfast in Cape May, NJ.  That recipe used bananas, and when I tried it I didn't get a very good result (I'm 100% sure that was my fault, rather than the fault of a bad recipe).   Today my oldest daughter had to choose a country to report on for school.  Thanks to the presence of African wildlife, she picked Kenya.  One of the things that we needed to research was the nation's cuisine, among which, was Mandazi, and my daughter thought they looked fantastic.  I searched online for a quick recipe, and once again I found myself whipping up a batch of these fritter-style doughnuts-like fried breads popular in much of Africa. This time the result was pretty fantastic, and I decided that the recipes are both worth sharing.
(I believe this is pronounced "maenDAzee", but if anyone knows more about this please feel free to educate me.  The cookbook calls it Mandizi, but that's the only time I've found it by that name.)

Mandazi:
2 cups of flour (I used unbleached all-purpose)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder (some recipes call for yeast)
1 tsp butter (yes, that is teaspoon, not tablespoon)
1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup water
4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. allspice (Other recipes called for cinnamon, cardamom, or nutmeg.  I used cinnamon)

Mix together the flour, spice(s) and baking powder.  Cut in the butter.  Add the sugar and mix in.  In a separate bowl beat the egg, add the water and milk to it, and add them to the dry ingredients.  Knead into a soft but workable dough.  Cut into desired shapes and fry in hot oil until lightly golden.








"Mandizi"
Angel  of the Sea Bed and Breakfast Cookbook

1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 cup self-rising flour
3 Tbsp sugar
3/4 cup mashed ripe bananas

Beat egg and milk together.  Add the flour and sugar.  Blend in the mashed bananas.  Drop by rounded tablespoons into hot oil.  Turn with slotted spoon when brown.  Drain on paper towel and dust with powdered sugar.  Make sure the oil is not too hot, as the centers won't cook until the outside is too brown.




No comments:

Post a Comment